More athletes are curious about CBD and how it can help them have faster recovery times as well as ease stress and even bring some pain relief. How does CBD benefit athletic performance?
Athletic Performance and CBD
What we know about CBD and athletic performance so far:
- While more studies are necessary to reach conclusive results, current studies are promising
- There is zero evidence suggesting that CBD is harmful to athletes in any way
CBD cannot make people into super athletes – that comes from practice and hard work.
However, it can help in other ways like:
- Suppressing inflammation, helping muscle recovery
- Reducing pain, which helps with sore muscles and mild injuries
- May help with concussion symptoms
- Can help athletes calm down and get restful sleep
- Alleviating stress and anxiety
Can athletes take CBD?
The World Anti-Doping Agency and the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency allow athletes to take CBD – but only CBD.
Trace amounts of THC are not allowed. Even legal CBD can have up to 0.3 percent THC, so how do you avoid it?
- CBD isolate is pure CBD
- Take CBD isolate (not full-spectrum CBD)
- Buy CBD from companies that can provide third-party lab test results
Athletes Who Use CBD
CBD is becoming popular in the sports world and that’s partly due to pro and retired athletes that have become vocal advocates of CBD.
Some of these athletes include:
- Ryan VandenBussche (former NHL player)
- David Ahrens (former NFL linebacker)
- Nate Diaz (MMA fighter)
- Derrick Morgan (NFL player)
While more studies are needed to reach conclusive results about the positive effects of CBD, there is currently no evidence proving CBD negatively affects athletic performance.
In other words, it may not hurt to try it.